What’s new in ABBYY Lingvo x3
Lingvo Dictionary Software is constantly being updated and improved with each new version. Depending upon your region and the version you purchased, you may benefit from some of the following new features and dictionaries.
- Explanatory dictionaries of the English language
- 17 new specialized and general dictionaries
- 12 updated dictionaries and phrasebooks
- New recorded pronunciations
- Portuguese language
- Online services
- Virtual keyboard
For the first time ABBYY Lingvo includes three large explanatory dictionaries of the English language by reputed publishing houses:
|New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd Edition
© 2005 by Oxford University Press, Inc. 250,000 entries.
New Oxford American Dictionary contains 250,000 entries. It offers an easy way to find out the meaning of the US version of an English word and compare it with its British equivalent.
|Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary. New Digital Edition 2008
© HarperCollins Publishers, 2008. 88,000 entries.
This dictionary is meant for users with basic knowledge of English. Dictionary explanations use simple sentences in genuine English.
|Oxford Dictionary of English, Revised Edition
© 2005 by Oxford University Press, Inc. 355,000 entries.
A dictionary by one of the world’s largest and best known publishing houses Oxford University Press, it contains 355,000 entries and ranks among the most complete academic dictionaries. It is meant for users with advanced knowledge of English.
7 new English dictionaries
- Dictionary of Politics (En-Ru and Ru-En). K. D. Garnov, N. G. Inozemtseva, 2005
- Dictionary of Electronics (En-Ru and Ru-En). F. V. Lisovsky, 2005
- Dictionary of Psychology (En-Ru and Ru-En). E. V. Nikoshkova, 2006
- New Russian-English Law Dictionary. I. I. Borisenko, V. V. Sayenko, 2006
1 new German dictionary
- Difficulties of the German Language (German-Russian learner’s dictionary). K. V. Archangelskaya, 2003
2 new French dictionaries
- New French-Russian Dictionary of Politics. G. M. Kolpakova, 2006
- Russian-French Dictionary of Economics. E. P. Ostrovskaya, L. G. Kuzminok, 2005
1 new Italian dictionary
- Italian-Russian Law Dictionary. S. S. Prokopovich, 2007
3 new Ukrainian dictionaries
- Law Dictionary (En-Uk and Uk-En). V. I. Karaban, 2006
- Pronouncing Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language (Uk-Uk).
2 new Portuguese dictionaries
- Universal Portuguese-Russian Dictionary. A. V. Lazarev, 2007
- Universal Russian-Portuguese Dictionary. A. V. Lazarev, 2007
- Russian-Chinese phrasebook. ABBYY, 2008. Contains 1,000 most widely used phrases and expressions. All of the phrasebook entries have recorded pronunciations.
Updated English-Russian dictionary ABBYY Lingvo Universal
ABBYY Lingvo Universal is a general English-Russian dictionary. It has been created by ABBYY’s team of professional lexicographers and is being constantly updated for the last 17 years.
In 2007, ABBYY Lingvo Universal appeared in print for the first time and is the most up-to-date modern English-Russian dictionary among all publications available on the market.
The following dictionaries and phrasebooks have been also updated:
- Dictionary of Computers, Internet, and Programming (En-Ru and Ru-En), E. M. Proydakov, L. A. Teplitsky
- Dictionary of Computers and Programming (En-Ru and Ru-En), E. K. Maslovsky, ABBYY
- Dictionary of Science and Technology (En-Ru and Ru-En), ABBYY
- Russian-English phrasebook, ABBYY
- Russian-German phrasebook, ABBYY
- Russian-French phrasebook, ABBYY
- Russian-Italian phrasebook, ABBYY
- Russian-Spanish phrasebook, ABBYY
ABBYY Lingvo x3 contains new recorded pronunciations:
- Universal Spanish-Russian Dictionary (Es-Ru) — recorded pronunciations of 10,000 words
- Pronouncing Dictionary of the Ukrainian Language — recorded pronunciations of 10,000 words
- The New Comprehensive Russian-English Dictionary Universal (Ru-En) — 20,000 words with recorded pronunciations.
- The Russian-German Dictionary Universal (Ru-De) — 20,000 words with recorded pronunciations.
Additionally, now all phrasebooks in ABBYY Lingvo x3 come with recorded pronunciations (some 1,000 phrases per each phrasebook):
- Russian-English Phrasebook (Ru-En)
- Russian-German Phrasebook (Ru-De)
- Russian-French Phrasebook (Ru-Fr)
- Russian-Italian Phrasebook (Ru-It)
- Russian-Spanish Phrasebook (Ru-Es)
- Russian-Chinese Phrasebook (Ru-Ch)
All words have been recorded by professional narrators — native speakers. Unlike artificial sounds, live speech can really help users to learn correct pronunciation.
More: recorded pronunciations
For the first time ABBYY Lingvo contains Portuguese dictionaries.
ABBYY Lingvo x3 comes with the universal Portuguese-Russian and Russian-Portuguese dictionaries by A. V. Lazarev, each containing 115,000 entries.
The dictionaries came out in print in 2007.
Wikipedia and Internet search
Now you can use search engines and Wikipedia while working with ABBYY Lingvo.
Use the buttons and in the main window and links Find in Wikipedia and Search the Web on the right-hand panel of the entry window:
ABBYY Language Services
ABBYY translators are prepared to translate anywhere from two words to hundreds of
pages. Get a price quote and submit your order right now.
More: human translation
ABBYY Lingvo x3 provides a virtual keyboard which allows you to type in any characters that you cannot find on your conventional keyboard.
To enable the virtual keyboard, click the button in the ABBYY Lingvo main window.
Over twenty keyboard layouts are available, including the layouts for English, Spanish, Italian, Latin, German, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, and French languages.